Muskegon Brewing Company opened in 1876 on Muskegon Lake, at the site of the current Cole’s Bakery. From its opening until prohibition, Muskegon Brewing Company was widely regarded as the best brewing company in the midwest. After prohibition, the factory was sold to Grand Rapids Brewing Company. Later, from 1946-1957, the factory was owned and operated by Goebel’s Brewing Company. A stroke of good fortune put us in contact with the wonderful people at Cole’s Quality Foods, Inc. They brought us into their facility and showed us the original Muskegon Brewing Company – long covered by sheets of steel, but still very much intact. Seeing our excitement, they offered us the brewery’s pre-prohibition grain mill – and everything else we could remove. We took them up on the offer.
We removed doors, elevator doors, lights, light switches, cork insulation, hinges, and a grain mill. Some of these items are already in our taproom. Others are in storage, awaiting repair (or expansion of our space) before they can be brought to Pigeon Hill and enjoyed by everyone. We are also preparing to refurbish the grain mill, so that it can be put to use, once again milling the grain that produces the finest beer Muskegon has to offer.
Throughout our taproom, you will find many other references to and photos of Muskegon Brewing Company, Grand Rapids Brewing Company, and Goebel Brewing Company.
Muskegon Brewing Co's Brew House Door
Muskegon Brewing Company Circa 1880
Parade down Western Ave. "The Beer That Makes Muskegon Famous"